Manufacturers offer a variety of generators that run on gasoline, propane, or diesel. Today, it’s possible to choose the best dual fuel generator due to the consumption of not one, but two possible types of fuel. Such facilities are hybrid/dual fuel generators running mostly on gasoline and propane.
The working gear of these units is simple, as mechanical rotations are converted to a source of electricity. Besides, there are the following system elements:
- The engine and pistons are basic elements of the oscillating circuit. The ignition occurs via a spark plug during the propane or gasoline to the sleeve supplying. As a result, an explosion appears, pushing the piston to start operation, after which the crankshaft of the device is set in motion.
- The converter. A mechanical movement needs to be converted to electricity and this is possible via using a special conversion unit. This mechanism can belong to the conventional or inverter type. The rotation drives a magnetic field and an alternating current is generated by a coil.
- The carburetor. The ability of the generator to operate on gasoline depends on it. A fuel mixture is created, where the percentage ratio of gas and oxygen is fully correct.
Each dual fuel generator comes with additional components and equipment that ensure the normal operation of the system on any type of fuel. If you are looking for a decent model, check out our reviews and pick up the appropriate device.
Dual Fuel Generator Reviews
The Westinghouse WGen7500DF (27.2 x 26.1 x 26 inches) is able to work on the gasoline or propane. Its open housing design allows you to maintain temperature balance. While working on gasoline, it produces 9500W (peak) and 7500W (running), and on propane – 8550W (peak) and 6750W (running). This is enough to satisfy the domestic needs of a cottage or construction site. It can run for 10 hours at 50% of the load (16 hours at 2% of load) that makes the unit reliable in a case of need. The Westinghouse dual fuel generator is complemented with two 120V duplex outlets (which are classic household receptacles). Its user can easily plug various tools and appliances into these receptacles instantly. In a case of low oil, it will be disengaged by default and signalize the user about the appeared problem. The manufacturer offers a 3-year warranty and lifespan technical support. It probably might be the best dual fuel portable generator, but it’s hard to call its noise level unnoticeable for ears (74 dB).
- The transfer panel makes it easy to run all of the appliances in the house.
- I really like that the handlings (that are used for ground transportation) are complemented with vibration-damping pads for comfort.
- The inbuilt display is large enough to see the troubleshooting indication and start looking for its solution in the manual.
- The output frequency wasn’t set correctly out of the box (it was 64Hz but should be 60Hz, so I had to make the tuning in my own hand).
- The manual doesn’t contain information about the amount of oil that has to be put into the crankcase. I did it at random, that’s kind of risky.
Video Westinghouse WGen7500DF
The DuroMax XP4850EH is a portable device (24 x 17 x 17 inches) that runs on the propane or gasoline. It’s complemented with the 7HP engine and cast iron sleeves that improve the unit’s reliability. The gasoline-powered device surprises with the production of 4850W (peak), the 3850W can be reached while running. The propane-powered model can boast the 3658W (running) and 4608W at peak level.
This generator is a reasonably good choice for small country houses, workplaces, or even camping. Its runtime on gasoline (at 50% load) is 10 hours, while on propane – almost 9 hours. You can install the generator directly in the house, as special damping pads reduce noise up to 69 dB. The device has a 12V DC outlet that makes it easy to charge batteries. I really like the AVR presence, as it protects devices, electronics, and equipment already connected to the generator. The delivery performance is stable all the time, so you don’t need to worry about hypersensitive electronics. Fuel consumption is distributed according to the connected load (due to the inbuilt fuel consumption regulator), so precious propane or gasoline is not wasted.
- The heavy frame is complemented with 4 point rubber mounts.
- An electric starter is installed, but a recoil start is also available, so the user can choose to press the button or pull the starter rope.
- The power panel has a key start switch, warning light, and circuit breaker for the sake of the user’s convenience.
- A 1-year factory warranty is regarded as not a good offer, especially when comparing with other models.
- The tank filling is a difficult procedure that requires experience or prior dexterity.
Video DuroMax XP4850EH
The DuroMax XP12000EH is a handy generator that can run on gasoline (running – 9500W, surge – 12000W) and propane (running – 11400W, peak – 9025W). It has four mounting points so it’s easy to place this relatively big construction (30 x 29 x 26 inches) anywhere (it’s mostly used in cottages and single-family homes). The manufacturer complemented the DuroMax with two 120V classic household outlets, so there are no problems with appliances plugging in. Its noise level is hard to call unnoticeable (74dB at 25% load).
The 12000-watt dual fuel generator has an option that prevents damage to the unit in the absence of lubrication in the crankcase due to a low oil level sensor. If the level is critical, the sensor actively signals with a luminous indicator and automatically turns the engine off. A universal automated air cooling system creates reliable protection against overheating. It includes a strong airflow with increasing temperature and it independently turns the engine off at a critical rate. The generator has a 3-year warranty for residential and 1-year warranty for commercial companies.
- The unit has a Power Boost feature that makes it easy to flick between a 120V or 240V power outputs.
- The no-load controller only allows the unit to operate at the required speed according to the current power consumption.
- There’s a voltmeter on the control panel, so it’s easy to see how much power the XP12000EH outputs and how many devices you can plug in.
- The included accessories are made of fragile materials.
- The manual is outdated and has directions that are deficient and lacking.
Video DuroMax XP12000EH
The Champion dual fuel inverter generator works on gas (peak – 3400W, running – 3100W) and on propane (peak – 3040W, running – 2790W). While using the unit on gasoline, you can enjoy its productivity during 7.5 hours (at 25% load). The situation with propane is much better – 14.5 hours (at 25% load). The Champion 3400-watt dual fuel generator has average dimensions (25.1 x 17.3 x 18.3 inches) and is suitable for small household devices as it has a few RV-ready outlets. As the unit produces clean power, it can be easily used for laptop or smartphone recharging. The generator is a good choice for camping and home use due to the power supply possibilities.
The engine is air-cooled, which reduces heat load and has a relatively quiet sound level (59 dB). The protective metal frame, on which the vibration-absorbing pillows are mounted, provides minimum vibration level and prolongs the working life of the unit. A 3-year limited warranty is supported by lifetime technical support.
- There’s a cold start technology that makes it easy to launch the quiet dual fuel generator even in cold weather.
- Fuel switching is performed in one touch.
- The Champion 100263 comes with a propane hose of decent quality (solid and long), so there’s no need to purchase it additionally.
- I have to place this device at a low angle to use the wheels. The natural angle location isn’t convenient as thus the casing starts to drag on the ground.
- The carry handle is made of unreliable material, as I broke it when I tried to lift the device (it weighs 95.7 pounds).
Video Champion 100263
The WEN DF1100 (27.3 x 20.6 x 21.9 inches) belongs to the widespread dual fuel generators, as work on propane and gas. The device’s power possibilities are the following: gasoline – 11000W (surge) and 8300W (running); propane – 9500W (surge) and 7500W (running). This model is rather useful in a country house or a cottage. It’s easy to switch from one fuel source to another due to the simple selection dial turning. In the case of running at a 50% load, it’s possible to enjoy the generator productivity for 8.5 hours (gas) and 3 hours (propane). The unit’s loudness is 72 dB that’s really loud, so its exploitation may be a problem for some people. There’s a fuel gauge that measures the fuel level in the tank. The manufacturer provides its product with a 2-year warranty that is not the longest but not the shortest period.
- The hour meter works seamlessly even at low temperatures and clearly shows data.
- It runs smoothly and starts within a few seconds.
- The fuel gauge demonstrates the real balance to the nearest 0.2 gallons.
- The WEN DF1100 belongs to one of the heaviest generators (214 pounds) so it’s rather hard to move it from place to place.
- The unit has plastic wheels with small cracks, so they may break under the unit’s heavy weight.
Video WEN DF1100
The Champion dual fuel generator is a classic example of a quality combination of propane and gasoline sourcing. While being propane-powered, it produces 6750W (running) and 8400W (peak). The gasoline-powered model gives a 7500W (running) and 9375W (peak). It can be started via a pull-start mechanism or a modern electric starter; the owner can easily choose the most convenient variant for him/her. The generator sounds relatively loud (74dB) and some vibration appears. While working at a 50% load via gasoline, the Champion product can please the user with smooth operation for 8 hours, and when talking about the propane – 5.5 hours. Its dimension isn’t compact (27.8 x 28.7 x 26.4 inches), so it’s better to place the unit in one location (in the house or household building) and don’t move it. The device comes with accessories (funnel, oil, and propane hose), which are solid and don’t have an unpleasant plastic smell. A 3-year warranty is a classic addition from the Champion company.
- There’s an Intelligauge meter, which demonstrates voltage, frequency, and lifetime hours. Such a peculiarity makes it easy to monitor the work period of the device.
- Volt Guard feature protects the Champion 100165 from overload.
- Due to the air cooling, the overheating of an engine is eliminated.
- Sometimes it emits some roaring sounds that are louder than the standard working model.
- The deflated wheel spoils the whole impression from the unit as I had to fix the appeared problem. It seems that the material is thin and small stones can damage wheels.
Video Champion 100165
The Champion 76533 (23.2 x 17.5 x 18.5 inches) can boast the 3800W (running) and 4750W (peak) power while working on gasoline. Concerning the operation on propane, you get 3420W (running) and 4275W (peak) power. The device can be easily used for power outages or DIY projects. Its noise level is rather acceptable (68 dB) so it won’t produce uncomfortable sounds. If you are going to use the dual fuel generator on a gas (50%-75% load), you have 6-9 hours. While working on propane, the unit can provide all the connected appliances with energy for 10 hours. It has a 120V 30A RV power outlet that is protected by the circuit breakers. I really like that a voltmeter, sockets, and other controls are on the front panel, the controlling of which does not require special skills. The presence of wheels provides easy and convenient movement of the generator (122 pounds) on the work platform. Pay attention that before switching to propane, it’s recommended to start the engine on gasoline and warm it up a bit. The Champion product comes with a 3-year limited warranty.
- The metal frame reliably protects the equipment from mechanical damage.
- All components of the Champion 76533 generator are installed on the damper system, which guarantees a minimum of vibration during operation.
- The Champion generator fuel tank cap is located on the top, which makes it possible to quickly top up or check the fuel level.
- I have to adjust the carburetor to get rid of the clanging sound.
- Some burnt aroma appeared after the startup.
Video Champion 76533
The generator (23.2 x 17.5 x 18.5 inches) can be launched with a pull-start mechanism that allows you to successfully power up the unit even in cold seasons in any weather. The cable is pulled without efforts since the resistance of the starter is significantly reduced. It’s worth noting that the WEN DF475T can run up to 11 hours at half load while working on the gasoline. After switching to the propane, the duration of the exploitation process (at 50% load) is 7 hours. There’s also a difference between peak and running wattage. The running productivity on gasoline is 3800W, while on propane it’s 3500W. Peak exponent on gasoline is 4750W and on propane — 4350W. The electric start makes it possible to fire up a 4-stroke OHV engine. Such a solution for useful in camping and workplaces. Its noise level (69 dB) usually doesn’t bother the user and people around but may cause some slight discomfort. A 2-year warranty from the manufacturer is a pretty mediocre period.
- The model is transported as easily as possible due to the wheels and the ergonomically shaped handle.
- There’s an oil sensor. After reaching a certain level, protection is triggered. It will either turn off the engine or prevent it from starting.
- A number of protective systems guarantee protection against breakdowns, such as short circuits and overloads.
- Tools that come with the generator have some serious scratches.
- The top of the fuel tank pulled down due to the vacuum.
The Champion 100307 is a dual fuel RV generator, which is able to work for 9 hours on gasoline and 10.5 hours on propane. The reinforced frame protects the essential elements from mechanical damage and greatly facilitates the transportation of the unit (23.2 x 19.1 x 20 inches). It is widely used in a country house, at a construction site, and might be useful for participants of outdoor events and amateur DIY representatives. When the generator is gasoline-powered, its running wattage riches 3500W, while the peak one — 4375W. If it is propane-powered, the situation is different: 3150W (running) and 3950W (peak). Its noise level is standard (68 dB) and is regarded as a habitual conversation. The control panel houses the Intelligauge and 4 sockets for quick connection of appliances. Voltage and frequency are demonstrated on the LED display. The system of output voltage stabilization allows protecting even sensitive to changes in electrical devices. A 3-year limited warranty, with all the required documents, comes with the device.
- The Champion 100307 includes a solid propane hose that can be used without the need to be exchanged.
- It has a stable base, which prevents the generator from falling.
- The manual contains all the required information for easy exploitation start.
- It gets hot rather quickly (despite having an open construction).
- The electric starter is absent (only the pull starter) that isn’t convenient.
The Pulsar PG10000B16 produces 10000W (peak) and 8000W (rated) while using gas. When talking about liquid propane usage, it demonstrates 9000W (peak) and 7000W (rated). The electric push button makes it easy to start the unit’s exploitation in one movement (recoil starter backup is also provided by the manufacturer). The specified gas and propane generator is equipped with special legs with rubber pads for stability and 2 wheels – for easier transportation. A metal frame is provided to protect the generator from mechanical damage, as well as for the integrity of the entire structure. It is solid and reliable, has additional jumpers for rigidity.
The frame itself is painted; this protects it from corrosion and positively influences its durability. The available working panel of the circuit has a voltmeter – for easy control of the output voltage. The device (28.5 x 22.2 x 21.8 inches) is able to work for 12 hours while being operated on the gasoline (50% load), the situation with propane is a little worse, but periodical switching between these fuel types can prolong the circuit’s life. Its loudness level won’t be quieter than the 70 dB, so you’ll definitely hear it. A 3-year warranty is a classic addition to the generator.
- Valves are located at the top of the cylinder, which helps reduce fuel consumption.
- A special key makes it possible to switch from propane to gas and vice versa while the unit is running.
- The fuel tank is solid and made of materials with excellent anti-corrosion properties.
- The pull start rope doesn’t work well (it performs its straight function intermittently).
- The vibration level is really high, as the device is shaken out.
Video Pulsar PG10000B16
The Rainier R4400DF (23.3 x 15.5 x 21.3 inches) is a dual fuel portable generator that allows for an output of 120V and provides the charging versatility (it can be used for various appliances). The electric starter (battery comes with the unit) is the main way to launch this model (it is effective regardless of weather conditions). A pull-start mechanism is provided as a backup starting option. It furnishes the running wattage of 3600W and a starting wattage of 4400W (gasoline); 3300W rated and 4000W starting (propane). The generator works at the average loudness (69 dB), but it’s better to wear protective ear muffs while standing next to the unit. The running time is impressive, as the Rainier R4400DF can work up to 18 hours on gasoline (25% load) and 11 hours on propane. A standard 3-year warranty (limited) comes with the Rainier R4400DF.
- It has duplex 120V 20A that makes it easy to plug in smartphones, laptops, and other small facilities for charging.
- The panel has the VFT Data Center that allows sharing updated information on maintenance.
- Low oil alarm reduces the possibility of breakage.
- It works rather slowly; I guess the problem is in a cylinder head.
- The electric starter works on a non-continuous basis, so I have to use the pull-start mechanism.
Types of Dual Fuel Generator
There are 3 basic types of generators, among which it’s easy to distinguish
- A diesel generator which is complemented with a diesel engine. It is used as the main or emergency source of electricity. Diesel engines usually have a long service life and don’t produce much noise in the case of proper use.
- A liquid propane generator is often chosen as the main power supply (it is able to power a fairly impressive network). The gas itself is pumped and stored in special pressurized tanks of various sizes.
- A gasoline generator that is perceived as a portable device. The low noise of gasoline electric generators is explained due to the features of the gasoline internal combustion engine. Environmental friendliness is ensured by the use of high-octane gasoline as fuel. It can generate 200-2500kW that ranges nearly 150-4000HP.
The popular dual fuel generators combine the last 2 types.
Things to Consider Buying Dual Fuel Generator
While choosing the best dual fuel generator, it is worth paying attention to the following important parameters:
- Type of used fuels.
- The device’s runtime during the autonomous operation. Dual fuel generators with an air cooling system can be operated continuously.
- Other parameters. These include output voltage, as well as the possibility of operation as a primary or backup power source.
- Peak and rated wattage. Such information demonstrates the running and starts power, which is produced by the generator.
- Noise level. This peculiarity makes it possible to set the unit in living apartments or vice versa, only in premises on the territory. It influences the usage comfort level.
There are also other parameters and characteristics by which you can choose a suitable model based on personal requirements and wishes. These include the type of start-up, power indicators, type of power, tank size, and others.
Fuel Storage and Temperatures
Pay attention that the gasoline is affordable fuel that can be easily stored, but its shelf life is not more than 60 days and the heat leads to its exhaling. Granting this, the propane is a good choice as it lasts indefinitely. Pay attention that the temperature falling to the 40°F can lead to the pressure dropping in the propane tank. As a result, it may be hard to start the dual fuel generator if it works only on the propane.
Concerning the diesel, the fuel tank has to be installed on a special rack in an inclined position, so that the plug seal is in the oil mixture (it helps prevent the negative effects of moisture). Fluctuations in ambient temperature can cause pressure changes in the container and, as a result, violate its tightness. All fuel tanks of a diesel generator must have an air hole in order to ensure the reliable operation of the fuel system, to prevent air compression, and avoid emptying of the tank itself.
What Power Do I Need?
Size is one of the essential moments, that influences the generator with dual fuel choosing and the big ones are suitable for large houses. Power is the important efficient as if the generator is incorrectly selected, the consequence may be an overload of the device and its subsequent stop or even breakdown. Long-term operation of the unit at the “limit of possibilities” reduces its service life and fuel consumption also becomes more significant. First of all, you have to perform the complete inventory of all electrical appliances in the house. Check out the names of the devices and their power in kilowatts. You’ll get the rough estimate after hitting the total power.
When calculating the power of a suitable electric generator, it is necessary to take into account the sum of the capacities (in kilowatts) simultaneously connected devices. You need to add 20-30% to the resulting number (then you get a power reserve). It is necessary for the power plant to operate in the most optimal mode since the most acceptable load should be about 80% of the rated power.
If you are wondering “Are dual fuel generators good for home use?”, you should know that really quiet units emit noise no more than 65 dB, while some engines can produce noise level that exceeds 70 dB. It’s also recommended to purchase additional devices, such as a soundproof casing, they can become the occasional protection. Don’t forget that gasoline models work much quieter than their diesel competitors.
The noise volume of the unit is affected by many factors, among which there is an ordinary vibration. To get rid of it, or at least slightly reduce, it is necessary to correctly place the construction on a completely flat surface. Under it should be placed a rubber mat, which will degrade vibration and, accordingly, reduce the noise.